Me and the fam clan spent a nice afternoon today in Pacifica courtesy of the Pedro Point Surf Club for their annual BBQ/picnic. Established in 1987, the PPSC is a good group of guys and gals that, at first impression, love surfing, love their families, and love having a good time. Thus, my kind of people. It got me thinking about surf clubs in general and what they have to offer. Here’s my top 10 list of reasons to join a surf club:
10. Join a tradition that dates back to the mid-1930s with the Palos Verde Surf Club
9. Surf trips, aka surfing surfaris
8. A sense of camaraderie to feed our inherent need to belong
7. Learn about different boards and designs and even try before you buy
6. Network to find a new job or business opportunity
5. Get live surf reports from a trusted source
4. Improve your surfing
3. Raise awareness for an important cause like beach cleanups, clean water, at risk kids, etc.
2. Have another excuse to go surfing
1. Club meetings (always, coincidentally, at a place that serves beer)
If surf clubs are anything like THIS, count me in.
Until next time, may your waves be head high and glassy.