Sunday, December 23, 2012

Twas the Night Before a Hawaiian Christmas



Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the hale
Not a creature was stirring, not even Ray Kane.
The stockings were hung inside our beach shack with care,
In hopes that Uncle Nick soon would be there.

The keikis were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of kalua pig danced in their heads.
And mommi in her mumu, and I in my trunks,
Had just settled in to sleep in our bunk.

When out on the beach there arose such a clattah,
I sprang from my bed and said, “eh who dat, bruddah?”
Away to the window I flew like a flash,
I tore open the shutters and almost knocked over my stash.

As the moon brightened the black volcanic sand
I knew right away there was magic at hand
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
Shoots! It was a big red sleigh, and eight tiny reindeer!

With a little old driver, all nimble and quick,
I knew right away, “eh, dat’s Uncle Nick!
All wikiwiki his reindeers they came,
Santa hooted all loud and called ‘em by name!

"Now Buff! now, Rabbit! now, Jose and Kimo!
On, Gerry! On, Buttons! on, Clyde and Reno!
To da top of da hut! to da top of da wall!
Now dash away! Dash away! Dash away all!"

Like palm leaves in the trade winds, eh watch ‘em fly,
They swirl round and round in the clear North Shore sky.
So up to the roof the reindeer they flew,
With a sleigh full of toys, and Santa Claus too.

And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the roof
The shuffling of each big wave chargers hooves.
As I pulled in my head, and spun right around,
Down the chimney Uncle Nick came with a bound.

He was sporting black slippahs and a colorful aloha shirt,
But his clothes were covered with sand and red dirt.
A sack of goodies was slung on his back,
And he looked kinda like a beach bum, living out of his pack.

Oh but his eyes, man did they twinkle! And his dimples they were so merry!
His cheeks were like roses and his nose as red as Rudy’s!
His smile was brighter than a rainbow,
And his beard as white as haleakala snow.

He loved cherry shave ice, you could tell by his teeth,
For when he smiled at me, his gums were as red as a beet
He had a broad face and a serious beer belly,
That shook when he laughed, like, well, a belly full of beer!

He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old dude,
And I laughed when I saw him, and offered him some food.
A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
Soon told me he was looking for a beer instead.

I handed him a Primo and he went straight to his work,
He filled all the stockings, then shot me a smirk.
He threw me a shaka and pointed to the tree
As he rose up the chimney I saw what he’d left for me

He sprang to his sleigh while I gave my new board a hug
And his reindeer took off with just a simple tug.
But I heard him shout, as he flew outta sight,
"Mele Kalikimaka to all, and to all, a-lo-HA!"


Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and may all your waves be head high and glassy.


No comments:

Post a Comment