Wow, it's been a long time since I last posted. Let's see if I can remember how this works. Push this button, pull this lever, add water here, okay, I think we're good to go.
Happy New Year faithful readers. And Happy New Year as well to all of you who stumbled upon this blog by accident. What's happened since my last posting in late October? Here's a quick summary:
- Maya is surfing once again after breaking her leg in huge waves in Europe (see previous post)
- There are huge waves in Europe.
- Mick Fanning beat Kelly Slater to take the 2013 ASP crown following some questionable judging
- Haleiwa was a snoozer but Sunset and Pipe delivered big time for an all around exciting Triple Crown
- Nat Young, Santa Cruz's very own, was elected ASP Rookie of the Year
And just today it was learned that Gerard Butler, who admirably portrayed Frosty Hesson in Chasing Mavericks (see my review here), has signed on to play Bodhi in the remake of Point Break, which is arguably the worst (surf) movie ever. As I see it, Butler's involvement signals one of two things:
1) After hanging out with big wave legends like Peter Mel, Grant Washburn and Greg Long, soaking up all of their philosophy and almost drowning at Mavs, he has an appreciation for big wave surfing and wants to right the wrongs, the oh so many wrongs, committed in the first Point Break.
Or, 2) he's dismissed everything he learned from these big wave chargers, including Frosty himself, blocked out his two wave hold down in the boneyard, and is doing Point Break for the money. Let's hope it's #1.
Either way, this is the benchmark:
And now we're caught up. So let's raise a pint and make a toast to hope for 2014. Hope for good surf, hope for no injuries or drownings, hope for a another ASP crown for the ageless Kelly Slater, and hope I can surf more like Joel Tudor and Taylor Knox.
Until next time, may your waves be head high and glassy.